Waffling in THREE dimensions.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dorothy

I'm watching Clueless right now. Really. I used to watch the tv series when I was like 10, but I've never watched the movie. I don't usually sit through movies because I tend to wander off. Even now, I'm blogging and watching the movie. My family has been on a Jane Austen kick and I suggested my mom add Clueless the BlockBuster queue since it was adapted from Emma. I didn't expect her to actually add it, but I'm glad she did as it is quite enjoyable. If for no other reason than nostalgic elation. I mean, look how big those phones are! Anyways, there was a passing reference to the slang term friend of Dorothy and I was compelled to look it up on wikipedia. I had an epiphany and that episode of Arrested Development where Tobias is in prison researching a role and kills White Power Bill and becomes "Dorothy" just became much, much funnier. I want to work in something about Cher liking her step-brother in Clueless and the themes of Arrested Development, but really, it's a bit of a stretch. Paul Rudd is in like every third movie now too. Also, this part of Wikipedia is pretty humorous. After that I'm going to post a clip from the IT Crowd that I adore.

Friend of Dorothy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that a woman named Dorothy was at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel in the Chicago area. The NIS launched an enormous hunt for Dorothy, hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers.


No comments:

Blog Archive