Waffling in THREE dimensions.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Your Beliefs Suck

I didn't sleep very well last night, but I'll get to that. Instead I listened to most of Weekend Edition, which was cute for the holiday, and I sucked at the puzzle, as always. The This I Believe was really stupid though. I mean, I believe in evolution as much as I believe in gravity, perhaps more, but I don't gather any sort of ethical imperative from it. Aside from reproduce with the mate with the the highest possible genetic fitness, of course. While I disagree with Ben Stein's silly Godwin's Law assertion (disclaimer: have not and do not intend to see Expelled) that evolution spawned atheism (PROTIP: morality and theology are not inseparable) and thus the Holocaust or whatever, it is not difficult for me to imagine a regime using a corrupt survival of the fittest rational to justify a doctrine of eugenics. Perhaps for that reason, I was a little put off by the whole essay, or maybe it was that she seemed just so smug to be an paleoanthropologist.

But whatever. It's called This I Believe not Your Beliefs Suck, although I think that would be a great program to listen to, too. Someday, when I decide what I want to believe in (Unicorns!), I plan to submit one, because why not?

Blog Archive