Waffling in THREE dimensions.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

oh shit!

There really is no good way to prepare for a math test. Math tests are not like regular exams. A standard exam can be studied for through memorization of terms, dates, and other categorical information which you've learned before hand. Not so with math. To some extent, you can prepare yourself, but its more like preparing for a natural disaster than an quiz. Some vague idea of what to expect can guide your steps, and you may have had similar experiences in the past, but you can't be sure if it's The Big One. In a way, a math test is a blind date. You've gone on dates before, you know how to crack a good derivative, but will she like the joke? Not the best metaphor, because, seriously, math and sex are about as unrelated as possible. Although, after I spent three and a half hours on that exam, I was pretty damn tired.
I probably wouldn't be so bitter if calculus had some applications for me. Sure, I can find the fluid pressure on a submerged two dimensional object in a liquid of known density. Wait, I can't; I failed that problem.
It's probably a good thing math and sex are so unrelated, although I'm very tempted to use the pick-up line: Hey baby, what's your sine?
∫℮^x=℮^x+C

No comments:

Blog Archive